Write your own review and email it to: moreformomblog@gmail.com


July 25, 2011

Book Review: I can share


TITLE: I CAN SHARE
AUTHOR: KAREN KATZ


My son loves Karen Katz books--not sure if it is the freakishly large heads of the babies featured in the bookes, the bright colours or the quick pace of the books that draws him to them but he loves them.

I was pretty excited to see that Karen Katz books also have some "older themed" books for toddlers.

I CAN SHARE is now one of my son's favourite books but I am not sure how I feel about it. The "sharing message" is not very clear in this book--the message is a little bit more of "this is how we compromise" or "this is how we can play together while you don't upset me or touch what I think is mine". There is one "sharing" picture and that comes on the last page of the book where the child gives some of her crayons to her friend but that is not even described.

The pics of the kids cooperating are great and the overall message is that we can all get along and play together which is also great but the sharing part is lacking. So if you are looking for a book that teaches a kid how to share, this isn't it. If you are looking for a book on how to play together, this is cute.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your review of the book. It is one of Jessica's favourites. I think for toddlers, who have a really hard time with sharing, that it gives some good ideas of how to make the situation better instead of just saying "Mine!" :)
    We use the line from the last page "I can share, and I like it!" all of the time around our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that line!!! I wish we used that line more often...lol

    ReplyDelete