Write your own review and email it to: moreformomblog@gmail.com


October 9, 2010

Book Review: My Hollywood by Mona Simpson


A magazine did the review on this book and it intrigued me, so I picked it up.

The story-line follows a mom and her son and their nanny--a filipina named Lola. The story is set up in such a way that you get the story from both of their perspectives--one chapter is from the voice of the mom and the next from the nanny.
At times the story is heart-warming and sweet and at other times it is sad and makes you wonder about power dynamics and societal issues all the while weaving a story that follows every day life.
I didn't love this book but I also found myself not wanting to put it down at times--wondering where it was going and what would happen. The story will make you uncomfortable at times--judging the moms, the nannies, the situations--but some of it is pretty real.
I found it hard to sympathize with some of the characters so that's when I would put the book the down--but then I would pick it up again and devour a few chapters.

I picked my copy up at the library, so if you can do that, then it's worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment