Write your own review and email it to: moreformomblog@gmail.com


February 13, 2011

Book review: Th no cry potty training solution


By: Elizabeth Pantley

It's not the first time that I have read or reviewed one of Elizabeth Pantley's books. She is also the author of the no-cry sleep solution book and the no-cry separation anxiety book. If you liked those books, you will also like this one as it follows the same approach and the same easy to read, and very informative way to go about things.

The great thing about this book is that the first chapter is called the "QUICK GUIDE" and is has a summary and some key points to different topics. I loved this and I could see it being very handy at the various stages of potty training.

I also loved her quiz. She developed a "potty training readiness quiz" and although a lot of it was quite simple information, I do believe that it's good to take a step back and consider where your child is at developmentally. Her approach is very non-judgmental so as long as you are honest in answering the questions, you will find this helpful.

She has written a whole chapter on pre-potty training and I loved this. (probably because this is where I am at). It's basically preparing your child by reading about the potty (making a book about potty time) and talking about diapers and wetting the diaper and changing the diaper and poo and pee (vocabulary) and even the importance that your child be capable of following directions. It's supposed to make the process gradual and natural.

The other chapter I liked was "a menu of potty training ideas" it provides many different approaches that parents have taken that have proven to be successful. I like this because I am a firm believer that each child is different and even though one thing worked for someone, it doesn't mean it will work for you.

This book was much more comprehensive than the other book I read. It doesn't give a step by step (do this on day 1, do this on day 2) guide but it provides the information and the tools that parents would need to complete the process.

She doesn't set out a specific age or a specific timeline to get things done. She simply offers the information and tools to get you going on the training. Most importantly she stresses not to stress.

I do recommend this book as a potty training read.

No comments:

Post a Comment