Write your own review and email it to: moreformomblog@gmail.com


February 9, 2011

Book Review: Potty Training your Baby


author: Katie Warren

I am not quite ready to start potty training yet. Neither is my son. That being said, a friend of mine told me that I should start reading and learning about it and take a little bit from each book. She also told me about "pre-training". I didn't know what that meant, so I went to the library and got some books.

This book is short and gets to the point, so it's an easy read and doesn't take much to get through. That being said, potty training with this book takes a really long time. The subtitle should probably have been a clue about this system as it reads: "Begin training before your child's first birthday and be fully completed by the second year". So it's a long process.

The author believes that the earlier you start, the better. The child just needs to be able to sit down. You spend time developing a positive attitude around the potty training.

I liked the tips about purchasing the potty, and keeping it simple. I also loved the idea of using cotton training pants and not pull-ups since the child will feel wetness more with the cotton training pants. Interestingly, if you start your baby young, the baby should be brought to the potty 20 mins after milk whereas at 18 months, the baby should be brought to the potty 40 mins after milk. I do worry that this is training the parent more than training the child but her approach is about attitude and not about pressure which is nice.

There were some good tips but overall I felt that it didn't cover everything in the detail I had hoped for. It's a good start though.

No comments:

Post a Comment